Am I going to be paid my outstanding invoices?

Any balances outstanding as at 28 February 2018, the date of appointment of the Administrators, will rank as an unsecured claim against the Company.

The Administrators have written to all known creditors of the Company. If you wish to make a claim, you should complete and return a Creditor Statement of Claim Form with supporting details of what you are owed.

If you have not received a letter from the Administrators and believe that you are a trade creditor of the Company, you should send details of your claim to or to Moorfields, 88 Wood Street, London EC2V 7QF.

Please be aware that on the basis of information available, you are unlikely to receive any payment in relation to your claim.

Do I need to keep supplying goods and services to the Company?

The Company has ceased to trade and all stores are now closed. Any further supply of goods or services to the Company should only be made against a purchase order or request authorised by either the Administrators or one of their staff. Please note that no payment can be made without a purchase order from the Administrators. The Administrators will endeavour to settle all invoices rendered in response to Administration purchase orders as soon as possible and in accordance with agreed credit terms.